08 July 2007

Domestic musings

As my first post on my husband's blog, I thought I would explore an important facet of married life/home ownership: housekeeping.
My friend Jean sent me this great book for my birthday--"Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping House" by Cheryl Mendelson. It's basically a 900-page textbook of how to keep your house in comfortable, functioning order, and it took her 10 years to write it. I really have only read the first 3 chapters, but it's interesting!
I would consider myself a fairly clean/neat person, although it doesn't come naturally. And since we've bought a house, it's been nice taking some ownership and cleaning the house the way I want it to look (my husband seems perfectly content to let this transpire).
Chapter 2 is entitled "Easing into a routine", and it outlines the types of tasks and chores that are important to maintain a clean house. I started to get a little discouraged and overwhelmed as I read. She started out with a list of basic chores, and then elaborated for those who had more time and wanted to be more thorough, and then of course, there was an additional list of spring and fall cleaning chores. The author was kind to point out that all of these tasks aren't totally necessary, and everyone has to work out a routine that works with their specific needs. Here is her list of weekly chores:
-Change the bed linens (once or twice weekly) and bathroom towels (twice weekly or as necessary)
-Vacuum rugs, floors, upholstered furniture, and lampshades
-Wash all washable floors
-Dust all dustable surfaces and objects, including pictures, mirrors, light fixtures, and light bulbs
-Wipe all fingerprints or smears from doorknobs, woodwork, telephones, computer keyboards
-Wash down entire bathroom: toilet, sink, tub, wall tiles, toothbrush holders and all fixtures, cabinets (exterior), mirror, floor
-Wash all combs and brushes
-Clean entire kitchen: clean refrigerator; wipe down stove and other appliances inside and out; clean sinks, counters, and tabletops; extra-thoroughly wash backsplashes; scrub floors
-Clean air-conditioner filters and humidifiers according to manufacturers' recommendations
-Wash out and sanitize garbage cans

Who has time for all of this??? I don't think we even have a filter on our air conditioning unit?? I tried to rationalize--Ron and I are the only people living in the house, we don't have any pets, and we're both gone during the day, so we don't create as much mess as another family might. I have been trying to maintain a fairly regular cleaning schedule every week, but most of the tasks on the above list have been relegated to every other week. Cleaning a house with these guidelines is a very time-consuming task! I love lists, and I'm definitely a rule-follower, but I have to draw the line somewhere, if we want to have a social life at all. "Oh, Saturday night? No, I don't think that will work. I have to dust the lightbulbs and the lampshades!"

Although Ron (and most men) probably will not be able to concur, there is something to be said for coming home to a nicely-made bed and a clean kitchen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should really make my roomates read this. Or tug Ron's leash and have him make them read it, as he is the Hawaiian Enforcer. :) --Ps.